We invite any resident of Allegheny County who is able to shovel snow to volunteer! We have many people throughout our communities who are unable to shovel their own walk. By volunteering, you are ensuring their safety and access to meals and medications. Those under the age of 18 must sign up with an adult. Volunteers must pass a criminal record check.
Ready to shovel? Here’s how to get started:
- Register: So you’re ready to commit and become part of an elite snow shoveling army. Congrats! Take the first step by registering.
- Complete Online Training: Did you know there’s a right and a wrong way to shovel snow? Learn more via our short and simple Online Snow Angels Training. Snow Angels + Neighborly Gnomes Combined Training (PDF)
- Review Current Needs By Neighborhood: We’ve made locating a neighbor in need easier than ever. Via our website you can view current neighbors in need of shoveling assistance listed by neighborhood. Review current Needs By Neighborhood.
- Choose Who You’ll Help: Find someone close by? Ready to commit? Tell us then we’ll provide you with the senior’s address and contact information.
- Pick Up Supplies: While most care recipients will have a shovel and salt available for their volunteer, shovels and salt are available for pickup for volunteers who need them. Please contact us if you’re in need of supplies.
- Tell Us When You Shovel: We recommend reporting your hours weekly, depending on how often it snows. We’ve made it easy using our online form.
- Share Your Experience: Join in the fun and share your Snow Angels experience via Instagram using the hashtag #PGHSnowAngels. Be sure to follow us at @PGHSnowAngels.